Membership – 1 year

Membership – 1 year

15.00

Become a member of Narryna Heritage Museum and enjoy free entry and news of our exhibitions and events.

Quantity:
Purchase Membership

NARRYNA is a fine Georgian town house built by Captain Andrew Haig (1793-1871). Haig was a British East India Company-licenced merchant trading between Calcutta and Canton when he first sailed into Hobart in 1824 and purchased land from a subdivision of the Rev. Robert Knopwood’s estate. The narrow 2-acre holding ran between Hampden Road and the Sullivan’s Cove high water mark. The purchase turned out to be an astute one. The creation of New Wharf allowed him to build a pair of warehouses facing Salamanca Place (1833-35) where he set up as a merchant, importing foods and building materials. At the Hampden Road end of his block he built Narryna in 1835-40.

Through an economic downturn, Haig was forced to sell his assets in April 1842. Narryna was later home to businessmen and women, lawyers, politicians and bankers. In 1955 it became Australia’s first folk museum, thanks to the efforts of a group of Battery Point residents who assembled a collection redolent of the mercantile and maritime histories of Salamanca Place and Battery Point. Narryna opened to the public on 30 November 1957 and thus approaches 60 years of promoting understanding and enjoyment of Tasmania’s heritage, social history and fine and decorative arts.